Three are three requirements for passing the qual at UW CS:
The committee should comprise of at least three faculty members.
At least two of committee members should be core CS faculty members (not affiliates).
- You can have one faculty member who is not a CS core faculty member (S/he does not even has to be a CS affiliate).
- The advisor can be anyone of the three, which means your advisor does not have to be a CS core or affiliate faculty member.
- You have to declare at least two committee members (which include your advisor) before you start your qualification exam or project.
Other things I learned about:
- The qualification should, ideally, be completed at the end of your 6th semester.
- The qualification is comprised of two parts: 1) passing the qual exam/projecct; 2) meeting the breadth requirement
- The qual committee do not have to be the same as the committee for your prelim.
Last modified on 2023-03-17